After watching the presentation by Lynn Cheney last night as she provided an overview of where the detailed evidence will be going, I have these reactions:
- Everyone around the President knew that the Big Lie was “bullshit.” That included not only AG William Barr but also first daughter Ivanka. And, according to them, they shared that view with the President over and over again.
- I had – up to now – bought in to the gaslighting that only a few rogues initiated the violence and everyone else was just carried away. It is now clear that the Proud Boys played the role of shock troops and that between 200-300 of them did not even listen to the inciteful speech but were already positioning themselves to fulfill their mission of breaching the Capitol.
- My view that Mike Pence redeemed his career that day was reinforced. Not only did he not allow himself to be whisked away to safety (or something else), but he also tried to fill the leadership vacuum left by Trump’s refusal to protect the Congress. And, it was chilling to see again the President castigating Pence in front of that rabid crowd as was the Trump reaction to the hang Mike Pence chants that “Maybe our supporters have the right idea, Mike Pence deserves it.”
- I got a better sense of what a running battle it was as the Capitol Police continued to fall back to new defensive lines before finally being overwhelmed by the weight of the onslaught.
- I will be very interested to learn which members of Congress were seeking Presidential Pardons for their roles in the insurrection and what those roles were. I wonder if Jim Jordan was one of them.
- Finally, and most importantly, it is more clear than ever that the violence was not spontaneous, that it was part and parcel of a plan to create a Constitutional crisis from which a Trump victory would emerge. In short, a criminal conspiracy lead by the President of the United States.