As used here, post refers to a topic or article that appears at the top of a discussion thread. A post is distinct from a comment, which appears in the body of a discussion thread.
To create a post you must have “author status,” which is given by the site owner, and you must be logged in to WordPress.
There are a number of different ways to log in to WordPress. For simplicity, here is the link to the log in page associated with Tidewater Forum:
Once you are logged in there are a number of different ways to display the page where a new post is created:
- If displayed, click on the Write button in the upper right corner of the page you are on.
- If displayed, click on the red Add new post button.
- If there is a menu in a column on the left side of the screen, click on Posts, then Add New.
The page where you create the post is mostly blank. Near the top you will see the words, “Add title” in large gray letters. Below that you will see the words, “Type / to choose a block”.
This page operates like a word processor in which you compose your post by creating and filling in blocks. The first two blocks — the Title block and a paragraph block — are already created for you. You just need to fill them in. Press Enter at the end of a block to complete it.
You can create different types of blocks and modify them in a number of ways. For example, type a forward slash (/) at the beginning of a new block to see a selection of block types you can create. Or, once you have created a block with some text in it, notice the pop-up menu that appears when you place your cursor inside the block.
To delete a block:
- Place your cursor inside the bock. The pop-up menu will appear.
- Click on the Options icon (3 vertical dots at the far right side of the pop-up.
- Select Delete.
When you are finished composing your post, click the Save draft link in the upper right hand corner of the page if you’d like to keep it but not publish it. Click the Publish link to add your post to the top of the Forum main page.
You can delete a post on the page where you created and edited it:
- If it is not displayed, open the Settings menu by clicking the Settings button immediately to the right of the Publish button in the upper right hand corner of the page.
- Select Post at the top of the menu so that it is underlined.
- Click on the red Move to trash button.
One thought on “How to Create a Post”
Actually I posted before reading this. Just didn’t find the time before but thanks for the info. Still kinda hard on a phone.