The site owner, Dr. Tabor, has asked that authors use Continue reading buttons to shorten long posts on the main page of the blog. Following is a step-by-step guide for adding the Continue reading button to a post.
- There are two ways to create a post: 1) copy-and-paste it into WordPress from your offline text editor, or 2) compose it manually in WordPress. Either way, WordPress formats each paragraph as a separate text block. You manually add the Continue reading button between text blocks.
- If the first paragraph of your post is long, consider breaking it into separate text blocks: 1) With your cursor inside the long paragraph, click on More options (3 vertical dots) in the menu at the top of the block. 2) Click on Insert After in the drop-down menu to create a new, empty text block. 3) Copy-and-paste the text you want to move into the empty block.
Step by Step
- Create your post in WordPress.
- Hover your cursor in the white space between the text blocks where you want to insert the Continue reading button. An Add block button (plus sign in circle) will appear.
- Click on the Add block button. A menu will appear.
- Scroll down in the menu and click on Layout Elements. A menu will appear.
- Click on the More option. A READ MORE block will appear in your post. It won’t look like a button until you view the post in the blog by Publishing it.